Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Farmer's Wife Begins

After seeing all of the beautiful blocks popping up all over the internet, I couldn't resist joining in on the Farmer's Wife Quilt Along. If you don't know, Farmer's Wife was a magazine. In the 20s they held a contest, asking for letters answering the question would you want your daughter to marry a farmer? There are 60ish letters in the book, I think. The rest of the book is 111 blocks to go along with the letters. The letters are the best part in my opinion and I really like the blocks. When I think of farmer's wives in the 20s, I picture these dirt poor women with a hundred kids, just dead tired from working all day just to survive. Obviously this wasn't the case. The letters are beautifully written and express how much they really loved their simple lives as farmer's wives. I can't imagine anyone today writing such beautiful and eloquent letters. Even if you don't make the blocks, the book is worth looking at.

I'm not really sure how I'm going to go about making all the blocks, but for now I just started at the beginning and made the first 3 I thought I could easily do. The blocks are only 6.5 x 6.5, so they come together quite quickly. Cutting the pieces is the hardest part so far!
Attic Window

Autumn Tints

Basket Weave

I hope to post the blocks I've made every Tuesday.
I'm going to try to do at least 2 a week. The actual quilt along started a few weeks ago, so I'm going to try to do a couple of extras each week to get caught up. I'm very excited to see the top come together!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Tracy said...

I would love to join in! How do I get the directions for each square?

Jennifer said...

You have to actually get the book for the instructions, and there is a flickr group to follow along with. http://www.flickr.com/groups/1678802@N20/

Tracy said...

ok thanks