Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thrift Store skirt

I am constantly seeing all of these great thrift store finds in the blog world. I never seem to find anything, so I've committed to going more regularly. I've been going about once a week or so on my lunch break. Last week I got this great tablecloth for $7. It's huge. The lace goes all the way around it and it great.

I decided that it would make a great skirt (or 3), so I bought it and decided I'd try it out.

I took my waist size times 1.5 and cut the fabric that wide. I sewed up the two sided and trimmed the top to make it the length I wanted. That was the best part of the lace...no hem! Then I made a casing around the top and put in my elastic to check the fit. FAIL! It was terrible! It bunched and fell weird. I trimmed several inched off and tried again. Better, but not great. In the past I would have thrown it on the oh well pile and moved on to something else, but I really wanted to see this skirt through! I cut off a few more inches and tried again. MUCH better. I really like it. It's pretty comfy and I love the lace. I decided a yellow shirt would look nice and this is what I ended up with:

The yellow shirt isn't my favorite, but it works. I have enough material to make at least 2 more just like this and I'll still have about 4ish yard of the fabric with the lace. I'll be on the look out for projects to use it. Any suggestions?




Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Christy Ross said...

I think the yellow shirt works really well with the lace! I like it a lot.

You did a great job on this.

Heather said...

I admit I'm quite surprised and impressed!

Mandy Mc said...

This is so cute. Love it!