Monday, December 27, 2010

Mother-In-Law Quilt

I finished this quilt for my mother-in-law for Christmas. It's really the first quilt I've made that wasn't for a baby. My baby quilts are a little larger than traditional baby quilts, but this is by far the largest quilt I've made. It was 54x72 before washing and it shrank a bit more than I expected. She loved it and it will be great for cozying up on the couch.


The fabric is all just from Hobby Lobby. I honestly don't love the way it turned out, but it's not horrible. The blue was what killed it. I had to do something to keep it from being too busy after that, so I added the green. I don't really like that either. Maybe if I had done an additional border of green around the edge to tie it all together...


It is quilted in diamonds with verigated green thread. I will not use the verigated thread again. It made the quilting look a little messy because you could see it really well in some places and not in others.


I really liked the back. This is folded in half short sides together.


I don't love it, but it turned out alright. I love that I'm finding better ways to do things each time I make a quilt.

My next quilt is for my daughter. I'm using a Michael Miller fairy panel to make her a bigger blanket. She says her "special" blanket is too little and her feet stick out!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Christy Ross said...

I think it looks great. I think this is just a case of you being your own worse critic and seeing everything you could've improved. So you use a layer of polyfil for the batting? I embroidered squares once for a quilt and Tena H assembled into a quilt for me. That part was a hassle and a half.

Jennifer said...

I actually use cotton batting for my blankets. It washes better and doesn't bunch up when washed if you don't quilt it a ton.